I finally finished Chapter XVI of MITN last night while watching two versions of King of Kings back to back (the 1927 Cecille B. DeMille silent version was infinitely more interesting and stylish, although much less Scripturally accurate than the 1961 version)...if you happened to watch it, H.B. Warner, who played Jesus in the original version, was the actor who played Mr. Gower in It's A Wonderful Life many years later...
Anyway, here's the rest of the chapter...
21. At that time Jesus began to unveil the big picture to His disciples of what was coming. He made it clear to them that He was going to Jerusalem to submit Himself to an ordeal of suffering at the hands of the very religious leaders with whom He had so often contended, even going so far as to disclose that He was going to be killed, and would be raised from death on the third day.
22. But Peter, stunned by this revelation, took Him aside to rebuke Him, privately, saying, “Don’t ever say such a thing again, Lord! There is absolutely no way that we would ever allow or tolerate something like that to happen to You!
23. But Jesus, in an effort to resist being swayed by the natural affection of a friend, turned away from Peter (both physically and emotionally) and, over His shoulder, said to him, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are a hindrance in your attempt to prevent Me from walking in My higher purpose! You have no idea what’s really happening here…your human perception can’t protect Me from the will of God!”
24. Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Look, if anyone really desires to be My disciple, he or she is going to have to resist and deny any attempts at self-preservation which are at odds with his/her divine destiny…or, I could put it this way…he or she is going to have to take up his or her personal ‘cross’…whatever that represents to that person… and, choosing to do the right thing above doing the easy thing, follow Me.”
25. For whoever is bent on saving the temporal life…temporal comfort…temporal security, at any cost, is potentially going to sacrifice what is eternal…or lose the better blessings of the eternal life. Likewise, whoever releases their grip on the lower luxuries of the temporal life for My sake shall find the excellence of the eternal life.
26. The bottom line is this…it is ultimately unprofitable for an individual to compromise himself (or herself) in order to get everything he or she wants, and then lose himself/herself in the process. What’s the point of gaining the whole if you have to lose your very essence…your sense of self…your purpose…your soul…to do so?
27. So see beyond the scenario of My (your/our) short-lived suffering, and realize that the Son of Man is going to come in the glory and majesty and splendor of His Father with His angels…nothing and no one can prevent it…and when that happens you’ll get everything you have coming to you as a personal gift.
28. And I’m not just placating you with platitudinous promises…the benefits of the eternal life are not held for you in the sweet by and by…I’m talking about Kingdom blessings in the now. In fact, some of you standing here are going to see it take place…your eyes will see the Son of Man revealed in Kingdom glory!"