1. Then Jesus left that place and went into the region of Judea, and across the Jordan. And again crowds of people came to Him, and, as was His custom, He went right into teaching mode.
2. And some Pharisees who were in the crowd came to Him again and put Him to the test by asking, “Is it legal and right for a man to dismiss his wife…to divorce her for any reason that he may have?
3. He answered their question with another question, asking, "What did Moses command you?"
4. They replied, "Moses permitted a man to simply write a certificate of divorce and just send her away, no strings attached."
5. “Moses set up this system basically because of the hardness of your hearts…specifically, your insensitivity to women. He permitted you to easily dismiss your wives with no regard for required responsibility to them, because you have had no concept of covenant", He said to them.
6. But in this Moses did not have the heart and mind of God, considering that this self-serving male convenience was not in God’s original plan...at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.'
7. This is why a man has to leave his father and mother at some point, and be united and bonded to his wife.
8. And when that happens, the two of them become, in a sense, one single entity, so that they are no longer two separate physical bodies, but actually become one new one.
9. And if a particular union between a man and a woman is, indeed, God-ordained, then no human being should do anything to create a disconnect between what God has intentionally put together.”
10. When they were in the house again, the disciples asked Jesus to explain this further.
11. He answered them, "Whoever just casually dismisses his wife for no legitimate reason, and marries the next available woman who comes along, really is only committing adultery with her. His shallow flippancy in such a case shows that he has no understanding of the seriousness of covenant.
12. The situation is somewhat different if the wife has been unfaithful to her husband, but the real issue is still about the apparent disregard of covenant. So if she divorces her husband and marries another man for no good reason, she commits adultery, as well, because there is no genuine commitment to the covenant of marriage.”
13. Around this time people were beginning to bring their little children to Jesus for Him to place His hands on them and bless them when He was ministering; but when they did, the disciples would insult them by preventing them to do this.
14. One day it happened, and when Jesus saw what the disciples were doing, He was furious with them. He said, "You let these little children come right to Me, and don't you dare tell them that they aren't allowed or welcome! Childlikeness is the standard for the Kingdom of God, so, in essence, the Kingdom belongs to such as these.
15 The truth is that anyone who will not perceive and receive the Kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it in the first place."
16 Then He stopped what He was doing and saying, and started taking the children who were there in His arms, placing His hands on them, affectionately, and taking the time to bless each one of them.