1. On one particular day Jesus was preaching on the shore of the Lake Galilee, and great crowds pressed in on Him there so that they could hear the message of God.
2. And as the crowd got bigger and closer, He noticed two empty boats at the water’s edge...boats that the fishermen had left while they were washing their nets.
3. Without asking permission, or explaining what He was doing, He stepped into one of the boats and asked Simon, its owner, to push it out into the water a few feet. Then He sat in the boat and taught the crowds from there.
4. When he had finished His message, He turned to Simon and said, “Now I want you to go out where it's deeper, and let down your nets there to catch some fish.”
5. “Teacher,” Simon replied, “You should know that we fished here all night long...we worked really hard...and we didn’t catch a thing." Jesus had no response to his words, so after a short, awkward pause, Simon said, "But if you say so, I’ll let the nets down again.”
6. As soon as Simon did what Jesus told him to do, he started catching fish immediately...and he continued to catch so many that the nets he used began to tear from the enormous amount of fish!
7. In fact, the haul was so big that he had to yell for his partners to come help him with it, and when they brought out the other boat, both boats became filled to capacity with fish...filled to the point that they were on the verge of sinking.
8. When Simon Peter perceived what had happened, he fell on his knees before Jesus and said, “Oh, Lord, please just leave me...I’m too much of a sinner to be around You...You're out of my league, and I don't know how to handle this kind of thing.”
9. He was overwhelmed and awestruck by the number of fish they had caught, as were his fishing partners.
10. James and John, the sons of Zebedee, were there, too, and they were equally amazed and engulfed with awe at the miracle. Jesus calmly replied to Simon, “Hey...don’t be afraid! From now on you’ll be fishing like this all the time...but you'll be fishing for people!”
11. When they got back to shore, they just left everything they had and started following Jesus.