1. So after this...after sending out the original twelve...Jesus appointed seventy others, or other-type ministries, and sent them in partnerships of two ahead of Him into every town and place where He intended to go, to saturate the entire area with the message, and to prepare the way for Him.
2. And He told them, "The harvest is huge, but the harvest hands, in the natural, are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into His harvest field.
3. And just go! As I have told you that you have a cross to embrace (even as I do), I also tell you that I am sending you out like sacrificial lambs (even as I am) among the wolves of religion.
4. And I reiterate that you are not to take external equipment with you...depend, instead, entirely on your internal gifts. Be careful how you greet those you pass on the road, and don't waste a lot of time engaging in non-essential small talk.
5. When you do enter a house, first declare a blessing of peace on it, saying 'Peace to this house!'
6. If, indeed, a man of peace is in authority there, he will receive your blessing, connect with it, and open up to you. But if it's not received, take it for yourself, knowing that no verbalized blessing is ever wasted. And get out...don't impose yourself, or waste your time on people who don't want peace.
7. But if you do find a house of peace, stay in that house, eating and drinking whatever they serve you, for the worker deserves his wages. Build relationships if you can...don't move around from house to house.
8. When you enter a town and are welcomed, eat what is set before you, without getting into disputes with your hosts about customs and laws regarding food. In other words, when you are in any given town, become like the people in that town, and accept their way of doing things.
9. Most importantly...heal the sick who are there and tell them, 'The revelation of the Kingdom of God is very near you right now!'
10. But, by the same token, if you enter a town and are not welcomed, go out into its streets and say, publicly,
11. 'The dust of your town that sticks to our beautiful feet...feet that bring Good News to you...we openly and symbolically wipe off against you! And yet, you should still know that the Kingdom of God is very near you!
12. It is so near, in fact, that it will be more bearable on that day for Sodom than for that town.
13. Be warned of destruction, Korazin! You, too, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have had a complete paradigm shift long ago, demonstrating it in the traditional way.
14. But it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon than for you when judgment comes on this nation.
15. And you, Capernaum...will you be lifted up to the heights? On the contrary...you will go down to the depths.
16. The simple truth is this...whoever listens to you, listens to Me; whoever rejects you rejects Me; whoever rejects Me rejects Him who sent Me."
17. A little later, the seventy returned with great excitement, saying, "Lord, even the rebel spirits submit to us in Your name!"
18. But He replied, "I don't understand why you're so elated about that...I saw the Adversary fall like lightning from heaven...of course the spirits are subject to you...what else did you expect?
19. You need to embrace this truth about yourselves...I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions, and to overcome all the power of the Adversary, or of anyone that you perceive to be an adversary! Absolutely nothing can harm you.
20. But get it in perspective...don't rejoice that the spirits submit to you...that's really not anything to get all that excited about. Rejoice, rather, that your names are written in the heavenlies!"