16. "Speaking of discernment and perception, to what can I compare this generation? They are like spoiled, unhappy children…clueless about how blessed they are…sitting in the marketplaces and whining to others:
17. 'We played dance music for you, and you did not dance like we wanted you to; we sang sad songs for you, and you did not cry hard enough.' In other words, they are never satisfied with the message, regardless of how the messenger brings it.
18. For when John appeared on the scene, he became well-known in the community, not just for his message, but for his very disciplined, ascetic lifestyle. He had no social life…in fact, he lived as a hermit out in the wilderness, fasting, and being a teetotaler. But instead of being impressed by his commitment to such an exemplary moral code, the religious community misinterpreted his model behavior, and dismissed him as being a social misfit, and even a demoniac. And, in so doing, they completely missed the point he was trying to make.
19. The Son of Man, on the other hand, came with a completely different modus operandi, and packaged the message quite differently. I willingly accepted the invitations for every party to which I was invited…openly eating with anyone who welcomed Me…even drinking with them…no matter who they were, or what they were doing. And still, the religious were unimpressed and incoherent. The same ones who said that John had a demon because he didn’t eat a lot, said that I was an out-of-control glutton because I did! They said, 'He has a drinking problem, and has no standards, because He hangs out with tax collectors, lowlifes, and the worst of the worst!' But those who possess wisdom know that she’s a lady who doesn’t have to convince anyone of who and what she is…and, most importantly, her children know the truth about her."
20. Then Jesus began to denounce the towns in which most of his miracles had been performed, because the places where He had done the most work had changed the least. The miracles hadn’t even altered their perception of Him.
21. "Destruction is coming to you as a city, Chorazin! It’s coming to you, too, Bethsaida! If half the miracles that were performed in you had been performed even in Tyre and Sidon, they would have had a complete paradigm shift, and would have fallen on their knees!
22. But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon than for your communities on the day that judgment comes to this nation.
23. And you, Capernaum…will you be exalted up to the skies? No, you will go down to the depths. If the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would still be a thriving city to this day.
24. But I tell you that what happened to Sodom will pale in comparison to the judgment that is coming to you as a city."
25. Then suddenly Jesus shifted into prayer mode, and said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, or of the invisible and visible realm, because you have hidden these things from those who have preconceived ideas about You, and are smug enough to think that they have all of Your ways figured out. You have revealed them, instead, to the open and unpretentious...to those who, unlike the spoiled children that I mentioned earlier, are like beautiful children who don’t have to fully understand something to accept it .
26. Yes, Father, this the way of revelation which pleases You."