Don't worry...I'm not working on Luke In The Now yet (I'll have MITN XII posted ASAP), but I did this passage for Christmas. It's one of my favorites in the Bible. Also, I think that these different artists' interpretations of The Anunciation are very interesting.
26. In the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to a town in Galilee called Nazareth
27. to a little teen-age girl who was engaged to be married to a man named Joseph, who was a descendent of king David. The young girl was a virgin, and her name was Mary.
28. The angel just went right into her house and said to her, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.”
29. Mary was not only startled by his appearance, she was also troubled by his declarative words and wondered what he meant by his greeting.
30. But Gabriel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, I am here because you have found favor with God.
31. “You are going to conceive today, and in a few months will give birth to a Son, and you are to name and call Him Jesus.
32. “And your baby will become great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David,
33. and He will reign over the house of Jacob forever; His kingdom will never end…it will exist in the eternal now.”
34. After collecting herself and gaining her composure, Mary asked the angel, “How can I conceive a child today? I am engaged to a man, but I am a virgin; I have not slept with my fiancé or any other man, nor do I plan to!”
35. But the angel answered, “You are about to have an unprecedented encounter with the Holy Spirit that is going to affect your natural body and, when that happens, the power of the Most High will literally overshadow you and permeate your entire being. This encounter will cause you to conceive, so that the Holy One to be born will be called the Son of God!
36. “And your cousin Elizabeth is also going to have a child, even in her old age. She has never been able to conceive throughout her whole life, but she is already sixth months pregnant!
37. “I know that this seems impossible to you…and, in fact, it is biologically and naturally impossible. But, with God, nothing in any realm is or ever will be impossible!”
38. Then Mary said, “You must understand that I can't even begin to comprehend or process all this with my mind, but in my spirit I say ‘Here I am, may it be to me, not according to logic or reason, but according to your word! I submit myself to the eternal, now Word of God that makes all things possible!' And when Mary said that, the angel left her.