I hope to hear from some of you before we leave in the morning, especially about this morning's service...
MITN XII, Verses 31 - 50
31. Speaking of Kingdom authority, let me tell you about the power of words . . . specifically, the power of your words to create by the ability and influence of the Holy Spirit. You see, every sin and blasphemy can be automatically forgiven people because of the mercy extended to the limited flesh, but when you are filled with the Holy Spirit, your words become so effective that they literally create your reality. So when you speak things out of your mouth which are contrary to the purpose and nature of the Holy Spirit, you actually speak blasphemy against Him; and He can’t forgive you in order to prevent those words from coming to pass, because He has empowered you to have what you say. You’ll just have to deal with the consequences of whatever you’ve said, whether for good or for evil.
32. You can speak against Me as the Son of Man, and I’ll automatically forgive you of your wrong words; but when you are empowered by the Holy Spirit, the words that you speak against His nature will have to stand just as you said them. They will not be erased through forgiveness in this dimension, or in the one to come.
33. If a tree is good and full of life, its fruit will be good and life-giving…if the tree is bad and full of death, its fruit will be bad and deadly, for a tree is recognized by its fruit.
34. You brood of vipers, how can you who are motivated by the evil side of religion say anything good? For out of the abundant overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks.
35. People of good intention bring good things out of the treasure stored up in them, and people of evil intention bring negative things out of the dark thoughts stored up in them.
36. And on the day that you give an account for the quality of your life, you will realize that its outcome was determined mostly by your every word, and you will have to explain why you didn’t create a higher standard by speaking better ones.
37. In that respect, your words will either make or break you.
38 Then some of the Pharisees and teachers of the law said to Him, "Teacher, we want to see a sign from you."
39. He answered, "An immature and manipulative generation asks for a sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.
40. For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the earth’s heart.
41. The people of Nineveh will stand up when this generation is judged and accuse it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now One greater than Jonah is here.
42. The Queen of the South rises in judgment with this generation and sentences it; for she came from a faraway land to listen to Solomon's wisdom, and now one greater than Solomon is here.
43. "When an evil spirit comes out of a person, it goes through arid places…places that have not been watered by the water of the Word…seeking rest, and does not find it.
44. Then it says, 'I think I will return to the house I left.' And when it arrives, it finds the house vacant and unoccupied, swept clean and put in order.
45. Then it goes and takes with it seven other spirits even more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And so the final condition of that person is worse than the first. That is how it will be with this wicked, unaware generation."
46. While Jesus was still addressing the crowd, His mother and brothers came and stood outside, wanting to speak privately with Him.
47. So someone interrupted Him and said, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you right this minute!"
48. But He calmly and rather matter-of-factly replied to him, "Who, exactly, is My mother, and who really are My brothers?"
49. Then, pointing to His disciples, He said, "Right here are My mother and My brothers.
50. For true family is not defined by name or blood or genetics. As far as I am concerned, whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."