22. As soon as the disciples had finished collecting the baskets, Jesus made them get into a boat and start back across the lake. But He stayed there to personally send the people away, and remained until the crowd had completely dissipated.
23. Then, according to His original intention, He went up on a mountain where He could be alone and pray, which He did into the wee hours of the morning.
24. By this time, of course, the boat was a long way from the shore, and it was going against the wind, and was being tossed around by turbulent waves.
25. And just a little while before the break of dawn, Jesus came walking towards His disciples along the surface of the water, strolling across the waves as if they were little hills of terra firma.
26. When they saw Him, they thought that He was a ghost, and literally went into hysterics, screaming like terrified, little children.
27. Immediately, Jesus called out to them, "Settle down, boys! I AM Jesus! There’s no reason for you to be afraid!"
28. And, Peter, being the most spontaneous, and the first one of them to come out of panic mode shouted out, "Lord, if it is really You, tell me to come out there to you on the water!"
29. “Come on…you can do it!" Jesus said. And at this responsive and very direct word, and before he had a chance to really think about it, Peter jumped out of the boat and started walking on the water toward Him.
30. But once he got out there and saw how strong the wind was, he shifted his focus from Jesus to the impossibility of the situation. And when he did that, fear instantly set in, his mind resorted to logic, and his understanding of natural law (which dictates that men can’t walk on water) superseded his ability to embrace the supernatural. In that instant he started sinking, and, re-entering panic mode, he screamed out "Save me, Lord!".
31. Right away, Jesus reached out His hand, pulled him up and said to him, "Peter, what happened? You were walking on the water! Where did your faith go?
32. But Jesus and Peter arrived back at the boat, anyway, and when they got in, the wind died down.
33. Then the men in the boat worshiped Jesus and said, "You really are the Son of God!"
34. Jesus and His disciples crossed to the other side of the lake, and came to shore near the town of Gennesaret.
35. And, once again, the people found out that He was there, and they sent word to everyone who lived in that part of the country to bring their sick to Him, which they did.
36. And the people who came begged Him to let them just touch His clothes…the fringe around the bottom of His garment…and everyone who did was healed.