Tuesday, March 24, 2009
MITN XV, Verses 1- 9
1. After that, some Pharisees and religious scholars made the trip all the way from Jerusalem for the sole purpose of critically confronting Jesus about something that they considered vital. When they found Him, they said to Him,
2. "We want to know why You allow Your disciples to transgress and violate the important rules handed down by the elders of the past! They don’t practice ceremonially washing their hands before they eat as they’re supposed to!”
3. He replied to them, “Look, if you really want to start examining the keeping of rules and regulations – especially if you actually care about their purpose - I could just as easily ask you why you transgress and violate the commandment of God for the sake of the rules handed down to you by the same elders!
4. For God gave this commandment: ‘Honor your father and your mother’, and also, ‘He who curses, reviles, speaks evil of, or abuses his father or mother, let him be put to death.’
5. But you have found a legal loophole to honoring them by saying, ‘If anyone tells his father or mother that he can’t take care of them in their old age because his money is already dedicated as a gift to God, then he is exempt, and no longer under obligation to honor and help his father or his mother.
6. So for the sake of this tradition of yours, you have ignored the Word of God, depriving it of force and authority, and making it of no effect…you have missed the point of the commandment by embracing the letter instead of the spirit of it.
7. You obnoxious bunch of phonies! Isaiah hit the nail on the head about you when he prophesied:
8.‘These people draw near to Me with their mouths, and honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are total strangers to Me.
9. Their worship of Me is useless, for they invent self-serving commands that are obviously man-made, and then obsess over them, elevating them to the status of God-inspired doctrines’”.