10. Then Jesus called the crowd together and said to them, “Listen, I’m going to say something to you that you really need to grasp…I want you to take this to heart, and get it into your thinking…
11. Very simply put, it is not what goes into the mouth of a person that pollutes him or her…it is only what comes out of the mouth of that person that has the potential to pollute him or her.”
12. Later the disciples came to Him and said, “Hey, did You know that the Pharisees were very offended by what you said, and are really upset about it?”
13. Unfazed, He answered, “Look, everything which has not been planted by My heavenly Father will ultimately be torn up by the roots.
14. So stop paying so much attention to them, or worrying about their constant offenses and irrelevant ideas. They are just blind guides and teachers…blind men leading other blind men right into a ditch.”
15. But Peter said to Him, “OK…whatever about them…but can You at least make it plain for us, and interpret this saying of Yours?”
16. And He said, “Seriously, Peter…is this really so difficult for you to understand? It just isn’t that complicated…the truth never is...
17. Don’t you understand that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the digestive system, and is eventually eliminated?
18. But whatever comes out of the mouth originates in the heart…and when the thoughts and ideas of the heart are put into words, they are given physical reality…and this is what has the potential to pollute a person.
19. For out of the heart can come destructive thoughts, divisive arguments which can even lead to murder, infidelity, uncontrolled sexual appetites and dysfunction, theft, lies, slander, and all sorts of hate-speech.
20. These are the things that can pollute a person, and cause him or her to be unclean. Eating with unwashed hands is just a basic hygiene issue, and has no real bearing on what can actually defile someone, or make any difference in the grand scheme of things."