21. And from there, Jesus withdrew to the district of Tyre and Sidon.
22. He had hardly arrived in the area when a woman, who was a Canaanite from that district, came down from the hills and made her way directly to Him. “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David!” she urgently cried out in a loud voice. “My daughter is miserably tormented and afflicted by an evil spirit!”
23. But Jesus didn’t answer her, and so she kept crying out to him. In fact, the longer He ignored her, the louder she got, until finally His disciples came to Him and asked Him, personally, to deal with her. They said, “Look, if you’re not going to do anything for this Canaanite, then please send her away, because she won’t shut up, and now she’s begging us to help her…and she’s really overbearing, obnoxious and out of line!”
24. But He answered them, “She’s ahead of schedule…it’s not time yet for Me to be revealed to the rest of the world, and to be accessible to people like her. Right now I am solely focused on My call to minister to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”
25. But, undaunted by this, she came and knelt before Him and worshipped Him. And she said to Him, “Lord, I don’t know anything about that…about Israel, or lost sheep, or the world, or even some ‘schedule’…I just know that you can help me now, and I need your help now! Please help me!”
26. And, finally acknowledging her, He said. “Lady, you know that the Israelites consider your people to be dogs…so because I have my hands full in dealing with them as a nation at the moment, to help you would be like taking the children's bread, and throwing it to the dogs…at least that’s true as far as they’re concerned. Now, do you think that “dogs” should take bread away from the children?”
27. But she said, “Look, right now I don’t care about what the Israelites think. I just want my daughter well. So to answer your question…I would say, yes, Lord, even the “dogs” eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table.”
28. Then Jesus, impressed with her fierce persistence and dogged determination, and moved by her ability to rise above offense at an insult in order to focus on getting results, answered her. He said, “O woman, your faith is great and powerful! By faith you have reached into the future, to when My Spirit will be poured out on all flesh, including the Canaanites, and you have pulled your miracle into the now…regardless of procedure…regardless of propriety…regardless of prejudice. Be it done for you just as you have declared it. And her daughter was completely cured in that instant.