1. Now the relentless Pharisees and Sadducees came up to Jesus, yet again, this time asking Him to show them a sign, or a spectacular miracle from heaven, that would validate His divine authority.
2. He replied to them, “Look...when it’s evening, you have a tradition of saying, ‘We'll have fair weather, because the sky is red’,
3. And in the morning you say, ‘It will be stormy today, because the sky is red, and looks threateningly gloomy’. You obviously know how to interpret the meaning of the sky’s appearance, but you can’t interpret the signs of the times!
4. Only a shallow and clueless generation is wicked enough to constantly crave a sign, but no sign shall be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah!” And without any commentary, or further explanation, He just left them and went away.
5. When the disciples reached the other side of the lake, they realized that they had forgotten to bring along any bread.
6. During the boat ride, Jesus had said to them, “Be careful, and on your guard against the Pharisee/Sadducee yeast or leaven”,
7. so they reasoned among themselves about it in hushed tones, wrongly assuming that Jesus was annoyed with them for traveling without food supplies.
8. But He, aware of this, asked, “Why are you worriedly whispering among yourselves the fact that you have no bread, and trying to hide it from Me? Honestly, sometimes I’m just amazed at how little faith you men have!
9. How is it possible that you have already forgotten that we literally fed thousands, just the other day, with only five loaves of bread? Don’t you remember gathering up the twelve whole baskets of leftovers after everyone was full?
10. And surely you recall that a little later we also fed another several thousand people with only seven loaves. Can it really be that you don’t remember also gathering baskets of leftovers that day, as well?
11. But even that’s not the issue…my real question is this: How can you, at this point, be so out of touch with what I’m talking about, in general? Why would you even think that I was talking about bread in the first place? How many feeding miracles is it going to take for you to realize that food-supply isn’t the problem? The problem is what’s inside the out-of-touch religious community, which is why I said (and say), beware of the Pharisee/Sadducee yeast!
12. Then, at last, they got it. They understood that He was warning them to not be void of discernment, as the Pharisees and Sadducees were. They finally made the connection that He did not tell them to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the empty teaching of those two misguided religious groups.