32b. ...But Peter, in spontaneous protest, grabbed Him by the hand, took Him aside, and began to openly rebuke Him for saying these things.
33. But turning His back to Peter, and seeing how His disciples were responding to all this, He returned the rebuke, saying, "Peter, you're completely out of line...get behind Me, you adversary! You are seeing and hearing only with your physical, natural senses...you are oblivious to what is happening...and what needs to happen...in the spirit realm, which is why you are responding like this. The will of God is bigger than your perception or opinion of what I have said is going to happen to Me!"
34. Then Jesus called the throng with His disciples to Himself, and said to them, "Look...if any of you intend to follow after Me, you're going to have to deny the lower life with its selfish agendas and instinct for self-preservation...and you're going to have to take up your own 'cross'...your own gateway to the larger life...the life motivated by a love, unafraid to make hard choices...the life of personal sacrifice...a resurrected life, born out of a death of selfishness.
35. For whoever wants to save his higher, spiritual, enlightened life, will lose the lower, natural, limited life which is lived out only in the physical realm. By the same token, whoever gives up the life lived only in the physical realm for My sake and the Gospel's, will save his/her higher, spiritual life in the eternal kingdom of God.
36. For what does it profit an individual to gain everything the physical world has to offer, and forfeit his spiritual, visionary life in the eternal kingdom of God?
37. For what could a person ever give as an exchange or compensation for his/her blessed, enlightened life in the kingdom?
38. And this is a great concept...nothing to be ashamed or afraid of! In fact, whoever is embarrassed in this dimension of Me and My words, of him or her will the Son of Man also be embarrassed when He is revealed in the glory and majesty of His Kingdom...and before His Father and the holy angels.