27. Then some of the Sadducees, who say that there is no resurrection of the dead, came to Him with a question of their own.
28. “Teacher”, they began, “Moses said that if a man dies, leaving no children, his brother should marry his widowed sister-in-law, and raise a family for his brother with her.
29. Let’s say, hypothetically, that there were seven brothers, and the first married and died, and, having no children, left his wife to his brother.
30. The same with the second brother;
31. And then the third brother married her, and so on until all seven died, leaving no children.
32. Now…stay with us on this…let’s say that, last of all, the woman died also.
33. This is our question…in this scenario, in the resurrection, to which one of the seven brothers will she be wife, since she was married to all of them?”
34. Jesus replied, “Your premise is implausible, if not preposterous. Anyway, the people in this age and dimension marry and are given in marriage.
35. But in the reality of the resurrection, neither men nor women get married, nor are they considered married when they enter the resurrected state.
36. In that sense they are like the angels who live in the heavenly realm, and they can no longer die. They are God's children...children of the resurrection.
37. But as to your larger question...in the account of the burning bush, even Moses showed that the dead rise, in that he called the Lord 'The God of Abraham...and the God of Isaac...and the God of Jacob.'
38. Don't you see that He revealed something in the way that he phrased that? Because he spoke of God being the God of all of them in the present tense, he was declaring that He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to Him all are ultimately and eternally alive."
39. Some of the teachers of the law who heard this responded, "Excellent...well said, Teacher!"
40. But whether they liked His answer or not, no one dared to ask Him any more questions.
41. But Jesus went on to say to them, "Why do you think it is said that the Messiah is the son of David?
42. I mean, David himself declares in the Book of Psalms: 'The Lord said to my Lord, it at My right hand,
43. until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet.'
44. Think about it...if David calls him 'Lord', how then can he be his son?"
45. While the people were trying to comprehend all this, Jesus turned to His disciples and said,
46. "Always remember to beware of the teachers of the law. They love to walk around in flowing robes, looking pious and important...love to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces, and treated like celebrities...love to have the most important seats in the synagogues, and the places of honor at all the banquets.
47. But while all this high profile show is going on, behind the scenes they devour the fortunes of gullible widows, and for a pretense make lengthy prayers. These men will be justly and severely punished."