1. After saying these things, Jesus looked up and saw the rich making a big show of putting their financial gifts into the temple treasury.
2. At the same time He saw a poor, little widow put in two very small copper coins.
3. "I want to tell you a truth about perception," He said, "this poor widow has actually put in more than all the rest.
4. These others gave their gifts out of their vast wealth, but in this sense everything is relative...she, out of her poverty, put in all she had to live on, so she gave the most in reality."
5. And this exchange led to a conversation about the Temple, itself. Some of His disciples were remarking about how it was adorned with beautiful stones, and with gifts dedicated to God, and they began to discuss the buildings of the Temple complex, and how imposing and impressive they thought the architecture to be.
(THE DESTRUCTION OF JERUSALEM, 70 A.D.)
6. "You may be rightfully impressed with what you see before you", He said to them, "the Temple is, indeed, something to behold. But the truth is, there is not one stone in that magnificent building that is not going to end up in a massive pile of rubble."
7. "Teacher," they asked, "when are these things going to happen? Will that be the sign of Your fully coming into power, and of the completion and consummation of this age and era?”
8. He said to them, “Be careful that no one deceives or misleads you on these points…understand these beginning events, marking the period between My resurrection and the Temple’s destruction. For during this time many will come in falsehood, claiming, ‘I, alone, am the Christ’, and they will lead many away from the truth of Who and what the Christ truly is. Do not follow them.
9. Also, during this time you will hear of wars and rumors of wars…see that you are not frightened or troubled, for this must take place…wars will come and go as they always have…but the end of the Temple-age is not yet.
10. Nation will rise against nation...ruler will fight ruler...kingdom will invade kingdom...the usual earthly conflicts will continue to occur as they always have. These things are nothing new.
11. There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilence in various places, and fearful events which are a part of the natural order of things...activity in the sky above you which can be seen as the birth pangs of the destruction that is coming on this nation.
12. But before all this, they will lay hands on you and persecute you. They will deliver you to synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors, and all on account of your association with My reputation and name.
13. But this will provide an opportunity for you to be witnesses to them, and to the whole world...a chance to give your testimony...to show that, as the Temple era comes to an end, the true Kingdom of God will be simultaneously revealed.
14. But determine now within your own minds not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves when all this happens.
15. For I, as the Spirit, will personally give you wise words that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict.
16. As this natural, physical nation is replaced by a supernatural, spiritual one, you may very well be betrayed even by parents, brothers, relatives and friends...the closest people to you who reject the change that the Kingdom will inevitably bring...and they will even put some of you to death.
17. At one point, the conflict will become so intense that it will seem as if the entire world hates you because of your revelation of Me.
18. But as you continue to embrace this revelation, not a hair of your head will perish.
19. By standing firm in what you have received and perceived, you will gain a more excellent life."