20. "When you see armies coming to destroy both Jerusalem and the Temple, take notice and realize that this is the fulfillment of this nation's time of desolation.
21. If you're living in Judea at the time, you’ll need to run for the hills. If you're in the city, get out as soon as possible. If you're out in the country, stay where you are.
22. Heed this advice, because this is the time of retribution, in fulfillment of all that has been written.
23. Unfortunately, pregnant and nursing mothers will have it especially hard during this distressful time of persecution.
24. The inhabitants of this city will fall by the sword, and will eventually be taken as prisoners to many other nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the time of the fall of the Roman Empire.
25. It will be a time of utter chaos, with the sun, moon and stars becoming prophetic symbols of the downfall of rulers and authorities, and of the total upheaval of this nation's current government. On the earth, it will seem as though all the surrounding nations are in anguish...as if the whole world is one big storm-tossed sea.
26. The people of this city will faint from terror as they witness their world, as they now know it, coming to an end. Everything, including the sky above them and the celestial bodies, will seem to be off course and out of order.
27. At that time they will see a great manifestation of the authority of the Son of Man. To them He will no longer be shrouded in a cloud of mystery, but will be revealed to them with power and great glory.
28. So when these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads. Even though your present national reality and religious system are coming to an end, in the big picture, your redemption is actually drawing near."
29. Then He told them this illustration: "From the fig tree learn this lesson.
30. As soon as its young shoots become soft and tender, and it starts to put out leaves, you know for a fact that summer is near.
31. In the same way, when you see these things happening, you will know that the manifestation of the Kingdom of God is about to appear in its fullness.
32. I'm telling you the truth, so do not take this lightly, or assume that this is some far-off, futuristic prophecy that has no relevance to you. I'm not saying all this for some generation that will live hundreds of years from today. This is for all of you who are alive right now...these are things that will happen in your lifetime! And this era continues until all these things take place.
33. The sky and the earth will fade away before any of My words do, because My words are eternally and absolutely true.
34. Remain alert and aware, or your hearts will be weighed down with drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close in on you suddenly like a trap.
35. For the downfall of this nation will ultimately have an effect on all those who live on the face of the earth.
36. Be vigilant at all times, and pray that you may personally be able to escape the inevitable destruction that is coming on this nation...and that you may be able to look, face to face, at the Son of Man."
37. Jesus continued, for a season, to teach every day at the Temple. And each evening during that time, He went out to spend the night on the hill called the Mount of Olives.
38. But every morning, all the people came early to hear Him again in the temple.