47. But that was all that He could say to them, because while He was in mid-sentence, a mob led by Judas appeared, seemingly from out of nowhere. And once they had converged upon them, Judas immediately went right up to Jesus, and without word or warning, kissed Him.
48. Jesus just looked at him and asked, "Judas...this is how you're going to do it? You're betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?"
49. When the disciples realized what was happening, they said, "Lord, should we fight with our swords?"
50. But before He could even answer, one of them, who will now remain nameless, just started clumsily wielding a sword, managing to strike the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.
51. But Jesus called out, "No...stop it! It doesn't matter now...the fulfillment has begun...there's no reason to fight it now!" And He stooped and picked up the startled man's bloody, severed ear from off the ground, re-attached it, and healed him. This was His last miracle performed as the Son of Man.
52. Then He turned to the chief priests, officers of the Temple guard, and the elders who had come for Him, and said, "Is all this really necessary? Do you honestly perceive that I'm leading some kind of physical rebellion that demands you come for Me with swords and clubs?
53. I mean, every single day I was with you in the Temple courts, and you didn't lay a hand on Me then. But I suppose that this is appropriate...this is fitting for you, and for how you think...acting out your methods of control when darkness reigns depending on physical weapons to protect your interests."
54. But His words fell on deaf ears. They seized Him as a criminal, anyway, led Him away, and took Him straight to the house of the High Priest. Peter followed along after them at a safe distance.
55. And when he arrived at the house, he saw that some people there had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and had sat down together, so he sat down with them.
56. One of the High Priest's serving maids walked outside to where they were sitting, and when she saw Peter warming himself, she just stopped in her tracks and stared at him. Unable to take her eyes off Him, she said, "Hey...this man was with Him."
57. But he completely denied it, saying, "Lady, I don't even know what you're talking about."
58. A little later someone else saw him and said, "You are definitely one of them...one of Jesus' close followers!" Agitated, Peter replied. "Man, I'm telling you...I am not!"
59. About an hour later another bystander spoke up and said, "Come on...admit it...you really are one of them...you are a Galilean...your dialect gives you away!"
60. Peter replied, "Look...I'm telling you for the last time...I don't know Him...never did...you people don't even know what you're talking about...shut up and leave me alone!" And as these words were still lingering in the air, a rooster crowed.
61. When this happened, Peter instinctively looked up to try to see Jesus, and when he spotted Him, He saw that Jesus was already standing there, staring at him. As they made eye contact, Peter remembered how Jesus had said to him, "Before the rooster crows twice, you will utterly deny Me...you will deny any connection to Me three times."
62. And when the realization of what had just happened came crashing in on him, Peter went out and broke down and cried loud and hard.
63. Then the men who were guarding Jesus began to mock Him and pummel Him with their fists.
64. As a kind of frenzy set in among them, they blindfolded Him, and began to say while striking Him, "Prophesy, Prophet!...tell us who hit You!". They did this until they grew tired of it, then the guards took Him away, and started another round of beatings.
65. And they also continued the verbal abuse, peppered with constant insults and obscenities.
66. This went on all through the night, but at daybreak, the Council of the Elders of the people, the Chief Priests, and religious leaders all met together. Jesus was then led before them.
67. They said to Him, "If you really are the Messiah, tell us!" Jesus answered, "You men have proven that there's nothing I could tell you that you would believe;
68. And there's no question that I could ask you that you would actually answer.
69. But whether you believe Me or not, from now on, the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand...the place of authority...with God."
70. They replied, "So now You're saying that You are the Son of God?" He answered, "To you I am Whoever you say that I am."
71. Then they said, "We obviously don't need any more testimony...we've heard the blasphemy from His own lips."